For those thinking of making the switch to an other streaming service. I tested both Google Play Music and Rdio for a while.
These are some of the pros and cons I found that might be usefull for others.
Google Play Music All Access
There probably are some differences in available music. But I didn’t find any bands that I listened to on Spotify that aren’t available on Google Music.
I didn’t notice a lot of difference.
- Good Chromecast support
- Tight integration with Android (Say “Ok Google, Play some music”)
- Missing songs? You can upload your own music. Very useful feature
- Radio stations where a lot better for me than the Spotify radio that seemed to play the same 20 songs over and over
- No desktop player. So you can’t use the media keys on your keyboard
- Had a few instances where it refused to start playing a song. Both on the web app and in the mobile app
- Chrome app causes my laptop fans to make a lot of noise
- Songs sometimes hang (beep sound for a few seconds)
- No Last.fm integration
- See Spotify Pro’s
Comparable to Spotify. Found some missing Artists like Led Zeppelin.
- Chromecast integration
Sync between devices! This is an awesome feature I wished Spotify had a long time ago.
For example: Playing something on your desktop. Your mobile app shows the song that is playing on the desktop. You can choose to take over and it continues the playlist/station on the new device.
- Clean light interface
- Radio station worked better than on Spotify
- Desktop app
- See Spotify Pro’s
Spotify Pro's over other services:
Apps that can be installed in Spotify (desktop). Extending the app fratures and interacting with other platforms.Spotify has removed the apps functionality. An updated version of the desktop app without the Spotify Apps is starting to roll out. By February 2015 it will be completely gone.
- Spotify has a lot of ‘official’ playlists and users (Like playlists from festivals or radio stations) where I live (Belgium).
- All my friends use it (but that might change if they keep ignoring their paying customers)
I haven't tested Deezer yet. Sould give that a try too. But for now I am sticking with Rdio because of the syncyng between devices.
I have also contacted their helpdesk and they were very helpfull and quick to respond.